tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Johan Bång <jb...@home.se>
Subject Trying to write my own startup script, but seems to missed something....
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:47:16 GMT
Hi!
I am trying to write my own init script to tomcat 5 for Fedora Core 1
I have tryed to decode what the startup.sh, catalina.sh and
setclasspath.sh
is doing, and I think that I have figured out some of it, but according
to catalina.out
it isn't enought.

Could someone who knows how tomcat is support to start please tell me
what I hacve done wrong?

I get this error message when I tries to start Tomcat:
org/apache/catalina/startup/Bootstrap

My .conf file, witch is supposed to set the nessesary env variables
looks someting like this:
# Where the tomcat installations lives.
CATALINA_HOME="/home/johan/download/tomcat"
CATALINA_BASE="/home/johan/download/tomcat"
CATALINA_TMPDIR="/home/johan/download/tomcat/tmp"

# Tomcat options. These are passed to Tomcat as-is.
CATALINA_OPTS=""

# Java settings. If you use Sun's JDK, you might want to add -server
here.
JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_03"
JAVA_OPTS="-server"

# Classpath settings. You migth add your custom classes here.
CLASSPATH=""

And the part of the init script, where the magic is suppose to happend:
# Get tomcat config options
. /etc/tomcat.conf

# Functions
start()
{
         echo -n "Starting tomcat: "
         # Adding stuff to classpath
         CLASSPATH="$JAVA_HOME"/lib/tools.jar
         CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH":"$CATALINA_HOME"/bin/bootstrap.jar

CLASSPATH="$CLASSPATH":"$CATALINA_HOME"/bin/commons-logging-api.jar

         JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS="$CATALINA_HOME"/common/endorsed

         # Starting Tomcat
         $JAVA_HOME/bin/java $JAVA_OPTS $CATALINA_OPTS \
         -Djava.endorsed.dirs="$JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS" -classpath
"$CLASSPATH" \
         -Dcatalina.base="$CATALINA_BASE" \
         -Dcatalina.home="$CATALINA_HOME" \
         -Djava.io.tmpdir="$CATALINA_TMPDIR" \
         org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap "$@" start \
         >> "$CATALINA_BASE"/logs/catalina.out 2>&1 &

         echo $! > $CATALINA_PID

         retun $RETVAL
}

Regards