tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Chakravarthy, Sundar" <schakravar...@doas.ga.gov>
Subject RE: webapp works through Apache, not Tomcat directly
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:31:55 GMT

Could be a permission issue:

docBase="/usr/local/webserver/webapps/MyApp

Tomcat is unable to read directory under
="/usr/local/webserver/webserver.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Ford [mailto:jford@katzenjammer.us]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 1:44 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: webapp works through Apache, not Tomcat directly

I have a webapp deployed in Tomcat 4.1.27 which I am able to reach
through Apache 1/3/27 (via mod_jk; sorry, didn't build it myself,
obtained it as a binary and don't know version---how can I tell?) but
cannot reach it by going directly to Tomcat.

Tomcat is configured to listen directly on port 8080 and through mod_jk
on port 8009 and in fact I can reach and execute the example servlets by

going to either http://localhost:8080/examples/servlets or
http://localhost/examples servlets.

I can reach my webapp by going to http://localhost/MyApp.

But when I try to reach http://localhost:8080/MyApp, Tomcat reports
resource not available.

The only difference (that I can recall) is that the examples are in
their default location, $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/examples, while my app has
been moved to /usr/local/webserver/webapps/MyApp.

The context to MyApp in server.xml is identical to the examples context
except for path and name:

<Context path="/MyApp" docBase="/usr/local/webserver/webapps/MyApp"
debug="0"
      reloadable="true" crossContext="true">

              prefix="localhost_MyApp_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true" />

</Context>

Nothing is written to the MyApp log when I try to access the app through

port 8080 (or when I successfully access it through Apache, either, for
that matter).

All are running under Linux (RedHat 9.0).

Any suggestions about what's wrong?

While this condition might otherwise be acceptable (I don't really want
to use port 8080), it appears to be interfering with the setting and
reading of cookies---I can set them on one page but cannot read them
from another, even though Mozilla's cookie manager shows them to be
(apparently correctly) configured.

Thanks.

Jerry