tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jeremy Nix" <Jeremy....@sfsltd.com>
Subject RE: Measuring latency between tomcat instances
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:29:30 GMT
Okay, let me pose another (slightly differenc) question.  Say that
instance (A) and (B) are separate institutions, independent from each
other.  Same scenario as before.  How could instance (B) (the responding
instance) be able to measure latency in instance (A)?  The reason I ask
is related to an issue that has been reported to me, but I am unable to
understand how the latency was measured.

_________________________________
Jeremy Nix
Southwest Financial Services, LTD.
Jeremy.Nix@sfsltd.com
(513) 621-6699 ext.1158

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Funk [mailto:funkman@joedog.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 8:26 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Measuring latency between tomcat instances

LOG4j might be nice kludge for this. On tomcat A, time the appropriate
events
  on how long it takes to do stuff on tomcat B.  Then log it in a
specially
formatted message. (mylogger.log("time: " + timeTaken) Then do the same
on
tomcat B. Its easier to do on tomcatB since you can use a Valve or
servlet
filter and stay out of the business logic.

I say LOG4J since it provides asynchronous loggers (Unless the
performance on
the non-asynchronous loggers are neglible in this case). But with LOG4j
(or
insert logging framework here) - you can use it to write to any log file
or
format you want. So your normal error messages can go to one file while
these
special messages can go to a differnet file/database/...

------

Or you can compare acces log entries since it does offer a %T option for
time
taken.

-Tim