tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat5 and url tracking hijacking
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:52:43 GMT
At 08:30 AM 1/27/2004, you wrote:
>I'm sure preventing multiple people from using the same session ID if
>the url is emailed or posted is something lots of people would like to
>prevent.

This is a really odd use case and I can't think of time when it would be
advisable to do this (perhaps you can give me one).  Unless you have a
very good, specific reason, your understanding of sessions may be
mistaken.

The point of a session is to store data while a user is interacting with
a webapp -- it's tied to one user.  Sometime that user is authenticated,
sometimes not.  If you require users to be authenticated (which I'm
assuming since you're concerned with session hijacking), and you want to
email a link to a resource that's protected, it makes no sense to bypass
that protection when the user clicks on the link.  The user who tries to
access the resource should go through authentication as well.

>I would assume there are good ways of handling it and I'd rather not
>reinvent the wheel.  Are there any best-practices or design patterns to
>guide someone?  Maybe restricting url tracking people to a certain ip
>range, or within a certain tolerance of other info they send back
>(browser, some other signature, etc.)?

You're treating the symptoms of a fringe/poor design.  Sometimes that's
necessary, but hopefully for your sake it's not.

justin

>Re: Tomcat5 and url tracking hijacking
>From:
>Tim Funk <funkman@joedog.org>
>Date:
>Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:41:27 -0500
>
>To:
>Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>yeah - you'd get that users session. Same problem with cookie hijacking.
>
>Use https.
>
>There is nothing defined by the spec to prevent this. (Except https)
>
>-Tim
>
>Marc Hughes wrote:
>
>>Does tomcat 5 use some kind of mechanism to prevent session hijacking
>>when url session tracking is being used?  For instance, if someone
>>posts a url to a website with the tracking info in it, will anyone
>>clicking on that link pick up the original user's session (assuming it
>>didn't time out yet)?  If it does prevent this, how?
>>
>>If anyone knows of any articles about keeping sessions safe, I'd love
>>to get pointed to those.

Justin Ruthenbeck
Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com