tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Talley, Angelina" <talley_angel...@emc.com>
Subject Making index.jsp work as welcome page after upgrade
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:30:35 GMT
Hello! I just upgraded a web application from Tomcat 4.0.6/mod_jk 1.2.5 to
Tomcat 4.1.29/mod_jk2 2.0.2 (built myself), both on Apache 1.3.27 on Linux.
Our webapp runs as the ROOT context (files are in
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/ROOT). We have precompiled the JSP pages for 4.1.29,
but did not do that in 4.0.6.

On the old setup, to get to our application all you had to do was type
https://myserver <https://myserver>  and you'd get index.jsp by default.
Now, if you type the URL like that you get a directory listing. You have to
explicitly put index.jsp in the URL to get to it. If you do that, the entire
web app works just fine.

Is there some new configuration item I need to tweak here? I tried adding a
segment for welcome-file-list to my web.xml:

    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

But it still doesn't work. Any other suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. I figured perhaps my workers2.properties was messed up, so I'll
put a sample of that below. I made almost no changes at all to server.xml
except to add tomcatAuthentication="false" for the Coyote connector and to
comment out the connector on port 8080. I should note that if run as Tomcat
standalone (without Apache) on Windows (haven't tried Linux because of our
authentication setup), it works perfectly.

>From workers2.properties:

#
# IP socket channel
#
[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
port=8009
host=127.0.0.1

#
# define the ajp13 worker
#
[ajp13:localhost:8009]
channel=channel.socket:localhost:8009

#
# Uri mapping - jsp files only
#
[uri:/*.jsp]
group=ajp13:localhost:8009

#
# Uri mapping - Struts stuff
#
[uri:/action/*]
group=ajp13:localhost:8009

#
# Uri mapping - all servlets in servlets directory
#
[uri:/servlets/*]
group=ajp13:localhost:8009

>From server.xml:

<!-- Define a Coyote/JK2 AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               useURIValidationHack="false"
               tomcatAuthentication="false"

protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler"/>

Entire jk2.properties:

#
# Socket configuration
#
handler.list=request,container,channelSocket

#
# socket configuration
#
channelSocket.port=8009