tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: 5.0.18: Windows XP Pro vs Windows 2000
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:34:20 GMT
At 08:47 AM 1/24/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>Remy,
>

>>No, it does not. .xml files in the Host appBase will be ignored.
>
>[Sigh...]  I thought I had it.  Checking back, I see that only the
>balancer sample app has it context description file there.

No it isn't... Oh, I see what you mean.  It isn't in the appBase, but in
the docBase of the balancer webapp.  Not sure why it is there.  Either way,
it isn't doing anything.  Probably an oversight.  It won't cause any harm
either way.

>>You need to put your Context elements in XML files next to the ones for
>>the manager and admin, and it will work ok.
>
>OK, I tried doing searches of the various *.xml files.  Here's what I found:
>
>balancer.xml is in:
>       %CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\balancer
>       %CATALINA_HOME\conf\Catalina\localhost

Like I said above, the former doesn't do anything.  The latter is
recognized, though.

>jsp-examples.xml is in:
>       can't find it, but it got installed according to stdout.log

Of course it did. There has never been a rule that says you *must* define a
<Context> for each webapp.  It is entirely optional.  If not found, Tomcat
will load up the webapp with defaults.

>servlets-examples.xml is in:
>       can't find it, but it got installed according to stdout.log

ditto

>admin.xml is in:
>       %CATALINA_HOME%\server\webapps\admin
>       %CATALINA_HOME\conf\Catalina\localhost
>
>manager.xml is in:
>       %CATALINA_HOME%\server\webapps\manager
>       %CATALINA_HOME\conf\Catalina\localhost

Ok, looks like the files within the docBase directory weren't an oversight
given that they are in those apps' docBase directories (or maybe it is just
a big oversight?).  Possibly it is just to provide a web-accessible way to
see how the application is configured?  Again, however, these files are not
used by Tomcat and are completely harmless.

>The %CATALINA_HOME\conf\Catalina\localhost location is mentioned in the
>Tomcat docs

For Tomcat-5.0.xx, not for Tomcat-4.1.xx

>, but I thought the server.xml location was mentioned also.
>To top it all off,  the book TOMCAT, THE DEFINITIVE  GUIDE (the only
>O'Reilly book I've ever been disappointed in) says the *.xml context
>descriptions (or "fragments", is it calls them) are placed in
>%CATALINA_HOME%\webapps directory.

They aren't wrong, at least not for Tomcat-4.1.xx. That is exactly where
they go for the 4.1.xx releases.  They changed things in Tomcat5 to store
them in CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/[some host]

>[signed]
>Confused in Austin

Hopefully my response cleared the confusion.

Jake