tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: default directory for files in tomcat
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:19:47 GMT
I don't see how an "applet" would have anything to do with where Tomcat
starts up as they aren't even in the same JVM's.  Did you mean
"servlet"?  Are you counting on being able to read files in a servlet via
File IO?  Bad, bad, bad, bad, etc....   Never, ever, use File IO in a
servlet application unless you are using paths provided explicitly via
deployment configuration or using the servlet container's temp dir.  I
would even try to avoid using the deployment config if at all
possible.  Use URL's and Streams to load files using the classloader or the
servlet context.

As far as your current issue, relatives paths are relative to wherever the
JVM started from.  If you use the CATALINA_HOME/bin startup files, the VM
base path will be set to that directory.  If you start it via a service and
don't set the base directory for the VM, then it will start from whatever
the default base directory is.  For instance on WinXP or Win2k, this would
probably be C:\winnt\system32.

Jake