tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Can not include javascript using TC 4.1.29
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 05:49:14 GMT
This is simply a matter of your context path being "/" or being something
like "/mycontext".  With the former, as long as you aren't one or more
directories deep into your webapp, then using "script/utility.js" and
"/script/utility.js" are completely equivalent.  However, if you are a
couple directories deep then the first one will be invalid and if you are
using the "/mycontext" path, then the second one will be invalid.  The
solution is to either always use relative paths and account for directory
levels or always use paths based off the root of the web, but make sure to
prefix the servlet context path such as...

this.getContextPath() + "/script/utility.js"

Dynamically adding the context path this way guarantees that no matter what
context path your webapp is deployed in, the path to your file will always
be valid.

See:
http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/2.3/javadoc/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest.html#getContextPath()

Jake