tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Really dumb question -- how do I set up Tomcat 5 to run as a service on NT?
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2004 07:45:23 GMT
Hi Bill,

Couple suggestions and a question...

First, the service.bat script should really be setting -Djava.io.tmpdir,
just as the catalina.bat script does.  Additionally, unless you provide
%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar to the --ImagePath, JSP compilation will fail,
although you might be fooled in cases where JSP's were pre-compiled and
mapped as servlets.  Try out a plain-jane non-precompiled JSP.  Probably
also dump the contents of the work directory just to be sure.

Now for the question.  How does one tell the service to use the -server
VM?  I've tried setting -server as one of the --JavaOptions, but that
causes the server not to start.  I've also tried doing...
--Java "%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll".  That seems to work, but then
logging (at least to stdout.log) no longer works.

I assume that "--Java java" is just going to start up the default client
VM, correct?  There's got to be a way to use the -server switch and not
interfere with the service starting or logging to stdout stopping,
otherwise this should be considered a bug in the procrun daemon.

Jake