tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jay Rostosky <>
Subject Re: Why must I supply standard.jar and jstl.jar myself? (Tomcat 5)
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 03:08:23 GMT
Ah, I kept digging and digging (believe me, I dug long and hard before
posting) and I see you had the same question last summer, nicely answered here:

Thanks for the clarification that Tomcat is not the RI.  I still think
these JARs should be included in common/lib.

>FYI... Tomcat is NOT the RI for Servlets and JSPs.  Read it at the message
>below (at the bottom of the message).
>On Jan 29, 2004, at 6:55 PM, Jay Rostosky wrote:
>>I'm using the Jakarta Standard Taglib implementation of JSTL 1.1 with
>>Tomcat 5.0.18.  The Standard Taglib documentation clearly states that one
>>must place standard.jar and jstl.jar in the WEB-INF/lib directory of the
>>webapp (which works fine for me).  Alternatively, I can place these JARs
>>in shared/lib and things work fine.
>>I'm wondering why these are not included in the Tomcat 5 distribution,
>>especially given that Tomcat is the S/JSP RI.
>>Note that the Sun J2EE SDK 1.4 does include JSTL 1.1 support out of the
>>box, though it's a single JAR file:
>>Note also that appserv-jstl.jar appears to be the amalgamation(?) of
>>jstl.jar + standard.jar.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message