tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jay Rostosky <jrost...@LearningPatterns.com>
Subject Why must I supply standard.jar and jstl.jar myself? (Tomcat 5)
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 01:55:06 GMT

I'm using the Jakarta Standard Taglib implementation of JSTL 1.1 with
Tomcat 5.0.18.  The Standard Taglib documentation clearly states that one
must place standard.jar and jstl.jar in the WEB-INF/lib directory of the
webapp (which works fine for me).  Alternatively, I can place these JARs in
shared/lib and things work fine.

I'm wondering why these are not included in the Tomcat 5 distribution,
especially given that Tomcat is the S/JSP RI.

Note that the Sun J2EE SDK 1.4 does include JSTL 1.1 support out of the
box, though it's a single JAR file:
appserv-jstl.jar

Note also that appserv-jstl.jar appears to be the amalgamation(?) of
jstl.jar + standard.jar.