tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jon Wingfield <jon.wingfi...@mkodo.com>
Subject Re: request.getRemoteUser() is NULL
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:42:01 GMT
If FORM authentication only works after encoding the url then the
browser is probably rejecting the cookie (JSessionId) that is normally
used to maintain a session.
If this is the case then every link should also be encoded.
Actually, this is good practise anyway (encodeURL does nothing if
cookies ARE being used to maintain state).
If tomcat can't use cookies and the url isn't encoded there is no way
for session info to be retained between requests and a new
(unauthenticated) session is started. This seems to be what you see when
you hit test2.jsp.

HTH,

Jon