tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <>
Subject Re: proper way to access local dir?
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:39:33 GMT
If you don't care about where the files are written to, you can use
"javax.servlet.context.tempdir". See the spec "SRV.3.7.1 Temporary Working
Directories" for details.

If you need a permanent local directory, I prefer to use a JNDI string lookup
to the name of the directory. This way I don't need to change my web.xml on
my development box vs qna vs production.

Daniel wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to access a "file respository" (for read and write of files)
> from my servlet.  I was wondering what's the best way to do this in a
> container/platform-independent manner?
> Is it possible without putting an "init" param in the web.xml that
> specifies my repository's directory or hard coding it into my servlet?
> I noticed the servlet 2.3 api has ServletContext.getResource(path) but
> it doesn't return a path to a local file directory that I'm interested
> in. :(

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message