tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Krüger <krue...@signal7.de>
Subject Do resource links not work with UserTransaction (TC 5.0.16)?
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:52:40 GMT

Hi,

either I fail to understand the general concept or there is something
strange with resource links in TC 5.0.16.

Everything works as documented with ResourceLink entries with
DataSources and other global resources I configured. However, when I try
configuring a Resource of type javax.transaction.UserTransaction I have
to configure it for each context/webapp because when I configure it as a
global resource and just put a resource link in the context, the lookup
in the web application fails.

Example1 (simplified): does not work, lookup fails
("javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot create resource instance")

<Server>
   <GlobalNamingResources>
     <Resource name="UserTransaction" auth="Container"
type="javax.transaction.UserTransaction"/>
     <ResourceParams name="UserTransaction">
       <parameter>
         <name>factory</name>
         <value>com.signal7.tyrex.UserTransactionFactory</value>
       </parameter>
     </ResourceParams>
   </GlobalNamingResources>
   <Service>
     <Engine>
       <Host>
         <Context>
           <ResourceLink name="UserTransaction" global="UserTransaction"
type="javax.transaction.UserTransaction"/>
         </Context>
       </Host>
     </Engine>
   </Service>

</Server>

Example2 (simplified): works

<Server>
   <GlobalNamingResources>
   </GlobalNamingResources>
   <Service>
     <Engine>
       <Host>
         <Context>
           <Resource name="UserTransaction" auth="Container"
type="javax.transaction.UserTransaction"/>
           <ResourceParams name="UserTransaction">
             <parameter>
               <name>factory</name>
               <value>com.signal7.tyrex.UserTransactionFactory</value>
             </parameter>
           </ResourceParams>
         </Context>
       </Host>
     </Engine>
   </Service>

</Server>

It looks as if UserTransaction is treated in a special way. Is that
intentional and obvious and I'm just missing it? BTW, I tried this with
the JOTM JTA implementation and it behaved exactly the same way.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

--
Robert Krüger