tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schu...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Signal 11 crash and mod_jk, mod_jk2, apache2
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:43:42 GMT
All,

> With RH8, I assume that at the very least you'll need to set
> LD_KERNEL_ASSUME.
>
> I would consider that the first course of action, and likely would not
> need to do anything else. I could see hyperthreading a problem if the
> kernel didn't support it very well. You could try the latest 2.4.x kernel.

If the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL doesn't help, try disabling both SMP and
hyperthreading at the same time. I think that's your next most likely fix.

Just a note: I've had big, beefy servers die with SIG11 on Linux before
(or course, that was back when a dual athlon 1GHz was considered 'beefy'
:). Anyway, we tried everything, including hiring BEA consultants for a
bazillion dollars per hour to help us tune both Weblogic and our VM.

It turned out to be bad hardware. We had six identical machines and two
of 'em kept crapping out. They just sucked. The only solution was to
send them back to the manufacturer and ask for more. It turns out that
not only did those two (production!) machines suck, but two QA machines
and one dev machine (all the same) sucked, too. They all died when we
put them under high load. They seemed to do okay under development load
(about zero).

I'll never buy a machine from "Penguin Computing" again.

Just wanted to mention that sometimes it's not the software's fault. Do
you have other similar machines that you can try this on?

-chris