tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schu...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: multiple instance mode on Windows
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:10:58 GMT
Venk,

> Does running multiple instances of tomcat on the same server running on
> Windows Server 2000, involve running a seperate JVM for each instance?

I would think that one of the only reasons for running separate Tomcat
instances on the same machine would be for separation of execution
environment. In that case, does it even make sense to run them in the
same VM? Why do you want multiple Tomcat instances?

On the other hand, you might want to run two different versions of
Tomcat in a minimum of memory...

> Also, when using tomcat in production environment, does directing all
> System.out statements to tomcat console effect its performance? How can this
> be avoided? Where would I set the JVM options it run the garbage collector in
> incremental mode?

You want to set the CATALINA_OPTS environment variable to include JVM
options in your startup script. If you're running Tomcat as a service
(which is probably true in production), you'll need to look into how the
service actually starts itself (Sorry, I have very little win32/Tomcat
experience).

-chris