tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Antonio Fiol BonnĂ­n <fiol.bon...@terra.es>
Subject Re: weired chunked encoding (how to disable properly)
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:13:51 GMT

>My questions:
>- how to disable chunked encoding even when there is no content length?
>
>- why does tomcat not use chunked encoding when sending mp3 files (and no content length
is set)
>  and why does'nt it for ogg?

See RFC 2616. Using either the Content-Length header OR chunked encoding
is a MUST in HTTP 1.1.

Something different is using HTTP 1.0.

The only (HTTP) ways of sending an unknown length file are:
a) Using HTTP 1.0, and closing the connection at the end (but the client
cannot know for sure that the file end has arrived, and I am not even
sure it is standards compliant).
b) Using HTTP 1.1, and using chunked encoding.

Yours,

Antonio Fiol