tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: How does a servlet request work. Not a newbie question ;)
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 12:34:01 GMT
Donie Kelly wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I want to insert some form of scheduling into our application and I was
> wondering how Tomcat passes the request to the actual servlet I write.
> Does Tomcat just read the headers to create the request object and leave
> the body of the message in an inputstream for the servlet to read or is
> all the data in the request read by Tomcat before passing it to servlet?
>
> Some of my traffic is more important that other based on headers in the
> request. I want to prioritise the handling of requests under load
> conditions.

I'm not aware of any priority scheduling in Tomcat's worker threads. There is no
public API for that, anyway.

If I understand correctly, you'd like people to login to a part of your app and
then they will be issued a Cookie, which would be the token for boosting
priority of such requests. Possibly in a Filter.

Unless you wish to employ your own thread pools, internal or real, I think this
is a no-go.

As a quick solution, you'd be better off using IP layer stuff, like IP QoS
(Quality of Service), Linux policy routing, etc.

Nix.