tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: Threaded servlets okay in a compliant container?
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:18:37 GMT
Ralph Einfeldt wrote:

> The cronjob is requesting an url with wget
> and triggers tis way a servlet.

I understood the mechanism being used, I did not understand the benefit.

> That's easy and sufficient to do regular jobs
> like sending newsletters, cleaning up files,
> that don't require any interaction)

Why is it easier to do those things from a Servlet, than a regular shell script?

If you want to trigger those actions remotely, I'd advise you to look at Secure
SHell products, like OpenSSH.

How did you provide authentication and security for those Servlet triggered
jobs? HTTP user/pass? HTTPS user/pass? With SSH you're as safe as with HTTPS,
with less fuss - just create private keys and make them trusted on the target
remote account (in OpenSSH you'd paste "id_rsa.pub" and "id_dsa.pub" from client
account to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 of target account).

Nix.