tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: Threaded servlets okay in a compliant container?
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 10:55:48 GMT
Ralph Einfeldt wrote:

> - Nobody (the spec included) prevents you from creating threads
>   You just have to follow some rules.

Yes, but it should make you think twice before indulging in something like that.
It also might prevent re-inventing the wheel.

> - Besides creating threads I prefer to use servlets/jsp's
>   that are triggered from the outside to do regular jobs.
>   (Using cron and wget to trigger the action)
>   This way you don't have to deal with threads and the job
>   runs inside the servlet environment.

Why would a cron triggered job benefit from Servlet container environment?
Servlets are mainly for HTTP client/server interaction. Cron jobs are for no
interaction.

I could imagine (and approve) a cron job firing JMS message to be caught by a
Message EJB, but a Servlet...?

Nix.