tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Woon <morph...@helix.stanford.edu>
Subject Logging and Tomcat 5.0.16
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:12:00 GMT
Hi all,

I apologize in advance for starting another logging thread, but I have
some questions that no amount of googling and archive surfing can seem
to answer:

1) Is there a reason why the startup.sh script that comes bundled with
Tomcat 5.0.16 adds commons-logging-api.jar to the CLASSPATH?  As far as
I can tell, it's the only script that uses it.

2) Is there a recommended way to control what gets spewed into
catalina.out?  The fact that all the messages I'm getting have an INFO
tag would indicate that this should be possible.

So far, the best I can come up with is to add commons-logging.jar and
log4j.jar into /server/libs and adding in a log4j.properties in
/server/classes.  This way I can still (theoretically) use
commons-logging/log4j in my webapps' WEB-INF/lib without having to deal
with classloader problems.

I say theoretically because when I reload my webapp, log4j complains
that it cannot find any appenders, so there's still something screwy
going on that I haven't figure out yet.

The other problem I have with this approach is that it seems to
completely ignore the parameters in server.xml that purport to control
the Logger's verbosity.

3) In any case, why doesn't Tomcat just come with commons-logging.jar
and log4j.jar bundled in /server/libs?

4) Is there a FAQ or HOWTO on recommended approaches to handling logging
in Tomcat somewhere?

Thanks,
-Mark