tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Woon <morph...@helix.stanford.edu>
Subject Exception in RealmBase
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:10:27 GMT
Hi all,

I have a custom Realm implementation that extends
org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase.  It used to work in 4.x, but in
5.0.16, I'm getting the following exception on startup:

21:17:29,719 ERROR RealmBase:1092 - Can't register null
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase.init(RealmBase.java:1088)
   at org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase.start(RealmBase.java:769)
   at
org.pharmgen.webapp.tomcat.PharmGenRealmAdapter.setRealm(PharmGenRealmAdapter.java:34)
   at
   at
   at
org.securityfilter.config.SecurityConfig.addRealm(SecurityConfig.java:216)
[snip]

I've taken a look at the source, and as far as I can tell, it's because
the container is null.  What is responsible for providing the Realm the
container it's in?  Is there some new bit of configuration I need to do
in Tomcat 5?  I'm also surprised that there's this bit of code in
RealmBase.init():

if( container== null ) {
 // do some stuff, and don't set container or oname
}
if( oname==null ) {
 try {
   ContainerBase cb=(ContainerBase)container;
   // >>> NPE HAPPENS HERE  <<<
   oname=new ObjectName(cb.getDomain()+":type=Realm" +
cb.getContainerSuffix());
   // some other stuff
 } catch (Throwable e) {
   log.error( "Can't register " + oname, e);
 }
}

I don't have any experience with JMX, so maybe it's doing something
behind the scenes, but if not, that bit of code looks wrong.  While this
seems to be an error that can be safely ignored if I'm not using JMX,
it's still a little distressing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mark