tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Matt Raible" <li...@raibledesigns.com>
Subject Tomcat's Ant Tasks [Install]
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:22:26 GMT
Is it possible to use the <install> ant task to deploy to a remote server?  I would think
so, but it
seems that the Manager app of Tomcat tries to load the "context" file on the remote server...

        <install url="${tomcat.manager.url}"
                 username="${tomcat.username}"
                 password="${tomcat.password}"
                 config="file:${webapp.dist}/${webapp.name}.xml"
                 war="jar:file:${webapp.dist}/${webapp.war}!/"/>

Is there anyway to do this, i.e. packaging the context.xml in the JAR and telling the manager
app
to get it from there - or can I only deploy to localhost when I have a context.xml involved?

On another note, is it possible to put all the ant task definitions in a file that can be
referenced
when - so all tasks can be declared at once.  Cactus does this and it's a handy feature.
I've
added it to my project by doing the following.

1.  Created a tomcatTasks.properties file with the following contents:

deploy=org.apache.catalina.ant.DeployTask
install=org.apache.catalina.ant.InstallTask
list=org.apache.catalina.ant.ListTask
reload=org.apache.catalina.ant.ReloadTask
remove=org.apache.catalina.ant.RemoveTask
resources=org.apache.catalina.ant.ResourcesTask
roles=org.apache.catalina.ant.RolesTask
start=org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask
stop=org.apache.catalina.ant.StopTask
undeploy=org.apache.catalina.ant.UndeployTask

2.  Define my tasks using:

    <taskdef file="${ant-contrib.dir}/tomcatTasks.properties">
        <classpath>
            <pathelement path="${tomcat.home}/server/lib/catalina-ant.jar"/>
        </classpath>
    </taskdef>

This certainly cuts down on the size of my build.xml file by about 20 lines!

Thanks,

Matt