tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ben Souther <bsout...@fwdco.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5 - jsp:useBean causing a compile time exception (not pilot error - long detailed post)
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 18:17:41 GMT
On Tuesday 20 January 2004 01:01 pm, Andrew Schwimmer wrote:
> That code was not written by me, it was generated out by Tomcat. I know you
> can't do those things in code.

I understand that you didn't write the generated code.

> To summarize:
> If you try to access an abstract class (or an interface) with the
> <jsp:useBean> tag, it will throw a compile time exception when you try to
> access the jsp page.
> This was not the behavior under Tomcat4.

It looks like your code was written to specific features (or side effects) of
Tomcat 4 instead of the JSP specs.  The "class" attribute of the useBean tag
was intended to point to a class that conforms with the definition of a
javabean, not an array of collection objects or an interface.

I don't think you'll have much luck getting anyone on the dev list to
recognize this as a bug.

Good-luck
-Ben

> -Andrew.