tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Oswald Campesato <ocampes...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat OutOfMemory at 158MB - Not reclaiming any memory overn ight
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:22:08 GMT
On Unix you can also use the "truss" command to attach
to a running process (check Google for examples).  I used
this technique on a web application and discovered that a
file with *static* content was being opened 1,000 times
per hour by the application.  Before I showed up at the
company, everybody was working on NT and basically
hated Unix, so the problem went undiscovered for close
to four years.  AFAIK, most (all?) of the Java-based tools
would not detect this sort of problem.

I don't think "truss" is available on NT, even with the MKS
(or equivalent) package.  For people who are on NT and
are experiencing problems with their Java-based web-
application, I would strongly recommend setting up a Unix
environment to perform truss-based testing (even if you
need to hire a contractor to set up everything). It's really
quite amazing what "truss" can uncover:)

Cordially,

Oswald

Edson Alves Pereira <eapereira@panamericano.com.br> wrote:
JProfiler is the best for this job, there are examples to show you
how bind JProfiler to tomcat ( www.jprofiler.com ), its pretty easy to
handle this tool.