tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ben Souther <>
Subject Re: Sudden IllegalStateException
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:54:27 GMT
On Wednesday 31 December 2003 09:00 pm, Merrill Cornish wrote:
> Ben,
> I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but I separate the HTML stuff
> into the JSP pages and use the servlets solely for program logic.
It is a good idea. The MVC pattern is widely accepted as a best practice for
server side java.

> Therefore, my servlets never output content..  Instead they merely
> redirect to a JSP page which then contains only enough Java logic to
> collect the data it needs from session attributes.
Are you able to post your servlet/JSP code? If not on the list, you can send
it to me personally.  I've been working on a fairly large app that uses the
request dispatcher extensivly without running into this problem.  I'd be
interested to see what your program is doing.