tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Quinten Verheyen" <q.verhe...@ringring.be>
Subject Tomcat manager reload, start and stop functionality
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:54:30 GMT
Hi,

I have a question about some tasks of the manager app of Tomcat.

*	The Reload-task doesn't stop and start the webapp, but I wonder how it exactly works. Because
when I am transferring a new jar-file on the server and a Reload is run on the context, I
need to know how this can affect the HTTP requests entering that context at that exact moment
the reload is "running". I know we are talking about less than a sec. here in most cases,
but imagine thousands and thousands of SMS messages coming in via HTTP requests to that context.
How is this handled ? With timeout and try again ? Please explain this if someone would be
so kind ..

*	The second question involves the same matter, but with the stop and start task. The context
is not active after running the stop (only for a very short time but still) so any HTTP request
will fail (I guess a 404 or something). Is there a way to work around this ? Some kind of
delay option or something.. to tell that any HTTP request is put into a pool and then run
again on the context when it is active (after the start). Or are there better ways to assure
nothing gets "lost" .. (ps of course using jsp's ensures not needing the start and stop, but
suppose we're using servlets).

I looked it the tomcat docs, but there wasn't really an in-depth explanation about this ..

Thx in advance :-)
Verheyen Quinten

Software Engineer
Rue Gabrielle Petitstraat 4/6