tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hooper, Brian" <brian.hoo...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: IIS + Tomcat 5.0 + NT authentication AUTH_USER
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:43:11 GMT
See if request.getHeader("Authorization") gives you anything.  That is what I have been using
with IIS and Tomcat 4.X.  The data is Base64 encoded, but I have some code to grab the username
and password from that if you need it.

-Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Wilson [mailto:jasowilson@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 12:54 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: IIS + Tomcat 5.0 + NT authentication AUTH_USER

Hi,

I'm using
  Tomcat 5.0.16
  connector-jk-2.0.2-win32-iis
  IIS 5.0

Currently my application is running under IIS + ColdFusion(Jrun), but will be migrating to
a IIS/Tomcat server.  Since this is an intranet application on an NT network, where it is
a requirement to have the users not have to implicitly logon, I am using NT authentication
with IIS.  In other words, for the virtual directory, I have set the Anonomous access off,
and Integrated Windows Authenticated on.

In the IIS + ColdFusion setup, my servlet does a
request.getHeader("AUTH_USER"); and this returns the domain/userid of the person logged into
the client machine.  Then I can verify the user is allowed to use the application.  All is
well.

However, in the IIS + Tomcat setup,
getHeader("AUTH_USER") is returning null.  I have
tried other header keys and get null also.

Also, I am sure IIS is authenticating the user, since
I cannot get to the application using a browser that
doesn't support the windows authentication.

So, it appears, for some reason, the connector is not
setting the AUTH_USER header when it transfers to the
Tomcat container.

Does anyone know how I can fix this so it does, or if
there is anything I might be doing wrong.

Thanks in advance,
Jason