tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Curt R. Crandall" <ccrand...@wi.rr.com>
Subject Problems running Model2 webapp
Date Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:18:35 GMT
I inherited a web application a couple of weeks ago and I'm having a
hard time trying to get it to run within Tomcat.  Unfortunately, I do
not have any system documentation nor a buildfile for the system.

I'm attempting to get this application to run in two different
environments:

Mac OS X 10.3.2, Java 1.4.1, Tomcat 4.1.18
Windows 2000, Java 1.4.2, Tomcat 3.3.1a

The app I inherited does have a WEB-INF folder, but most of the
code/classes are scattered about.  Let's call the web application
eReport.  Under $CATALINA_HOME (or $TOMCAT_HOME), I set up the
following directory structure:

webapps/
	eReport/
		*.jsp
		*.inc
		*.js
		WEB-INF/
			web.xml
			classes/
				*.java
				*.classes
			lib/
				*.jar

I eventually removed the *.java files from WEB-INF/classes as I've
experienced in other app servers that the Java files mess stuff up.

The almost all of the JSP pages try to import a class called
"SessionConnection".  The class file for this is located in
WEB-INF/classes.  When I go to view the JSP, I get 2 different errors
depending on the environment I'm using:

OS X-

/Library/Tomcat/work/Standalone/localhost/eSIMS/DeleteUser_jsp.java:8:
'.' expected
import SessionConnection;
                         ^
Windows 2000- HTTP 404 file not found

The JSPs do compile in the Win2000 environment as I see the *.java
files in the work/ directory.

If I remove SessionConnection from the import list, then I receive an
HTML formatted error message from the error.jsp page that was included
(this page does not import SessionConnection).

It almost seems to me that there's a classpath issue here, but I was
certain that in Tomcat the contents of WEB-INF/classes were
automatically in the classpath.

I'm sure this is a stupid error, so please forgive me.  I spend 90% of
my time creating mod_perl/Mason websites and 10% of the time using
Websphere with Ant build scripts provided by the web team.

If anyone knows what boneheaded mistake I'm making, I'd appreciate some
help.

Thank you,
Curt