tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Reynir Þór Hübner" <rey...@hugsmidjan.is>
Subject Taskmanager memory figures vs jvm figures
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:55:32 GMT
Hi,
I've been running my apps in profilers for quite some time now, and I
must say it's been a good experience. Now I've seen and fixed the leaks
in my applications.

This small jsp page should display the figures as seen from the JVM:

---8<---- jsp begins

Total: <%= Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory() / 1048576 %><br>
Free: <%= Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory() / 1048576 %><br>
Used: <%= (Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory() -
Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory()) / 1048576 %>

---8<---- jsp ends

I run my the tomcat service with the parameters -Xmx128m -Xms64m -Xrs,
and when I run this page I never see figures above  128mb, but the Task
Manager application (in windows) shows over 200mbs in use for the
process. And it always seems to increase.

What could explain this ? Could there be some leaks outside of my
application ? This setup I am refering to is using version 4.1.24 of
tomcat, and java version "1.4.1_02" and the application is a rather
complicated (but flexible) implementation of MVC.

My question is really, what explaines the difference between the numbers
shown when a jsp like the one above is called, and the numbers shown in
the task manager application ?

Thanx
-reynir