tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Curwen" <mi...@gb-im.com>
Subject OT Class reloading and Hotswap
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:36:16 GMT
Apologies if this is a dumb question.

I was snooping around java.sun.com and happened upon 'HotSwap'.  There
is an article that mentions it is still quite slow for starting a jvm in
'server' mode, which perhaps many of us do, since Tomcat is a server...

But I was wondering if Tomcat developers would ever consider using this
technology in the future (once the tech is stabilized and 'proven',
whatever that means), as opposed to disposing of and recreating an
entirely new classloader.

Seemed kinda cool.  Not so sure how they handle serialized class
instances, but Sun engineers are probably clever and have figured
something out?

Sorry for the noise.

the link is:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jpda/enhancements.html#hotswap