tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Barrett <jbarr...@sawyermedia.com>
Subject what *really* happens when you reload or stop/start a webapp?
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:59:24 GMT
I've got a web services application that I'm running w/ axis in Tomcat.
According to the howtos for the manager stopping or reloading a webapp
will make it unavailable and it will search for new files to load,
specifically mentioning .class and .jar files.  But does it go further?

A more specific question:  If I
1) had a jar in my webapp that had a class with a static field
2) set that static field to some value via interacting with my webapp
3) did a stop/start or reload

would everything get dumped and reset -- would that static variable go
back to it's original state when the class file is first loaded?

I should probably be asking a more specific question about classloaders
and sandboxes and whatnot, but I'm not sure how this stuff works in
tomcat and I'm not familiar w/ classloaders beyond their basic operation.

thanks,
+jeff