tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: OutOfMemoryError
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:04:13 GMT

Howdy,

>Aah. I think I see a part of the problem. First of all, the amount of
>memory shown by 'ps' is completely irrelevant, except that it shows how
>much memory that the OS has allocated to the Java process. This is
>allowed to be more than the "max heap size" set for Java.

It's not completely irrelevant, but close ;)

>Do you have any 3rd party containers or such that live outside of the
>context (their JARs would be in CATALINA_HOME/server/lib or
>CATALINA_HOME/common/lib -- someone please confirm that the second of
>these two does *not* get discarded along with the rest of the context
>upon reload).

I'll confirm that -- common classloader repositories (as well as shared
and server) do not get discarded on webapp reload.  They can't, as that
might destroy other webapps.  Yet another reason never to use these
repositories, keep your webapp self-contained.

Yoav Shapira