tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: OutOfMemoryError
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:55:00 GMT

Howdy,

>Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
>> We get OutOfMemoryError's on Tomcat 4.1.27, running on RH 7.3, Sun
JDK
>> 1.4.1_02 (with 512MB allocated to it)  The box has 1GB of RAM, 2GB of
>> swap space, and four Xeon processors.

Can you reproduce the errors in a test environment?

>Are you using the context reloading feature?  "reloadable=true" or
using
>the tomcat manager app will cause this to happen eventually.

Really?  Prove that please...

>> calls Runtime.freeMemory() and .totalMemory(), it comes nowhere near
>> using that much (we track it every five minutes by hitting a servlet
>> that calls these methods).

It could easily happen that:
- You check memory, everything is fine
- User makes a request for a large dataset, you load it, run out of
memory.

So your check is not conclusive.  The stack trace suggested that the
error occurred while iterating through a ResultSet, so one thing you
should log are all the SQL queries you run and what they return: you
probably got a large one to cause the error.

Yoav Shapira