tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Garbage Collection issues
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:35:02 GMT

Howdy,
Perhaps you are experiencing higher load, which requires more memory.
Or perhaps your application does have a memory leak: those are possible
and occur in java, so yes that would a programming error on your part.
The garbage collector does much magic, but it can't save you all the
time.  You may wish to read up on java memory leaks, as they've been
discussed at length on this list and on the net in general.

Note that when you call Runtime#gc that's only a suggestion to the JVM:
many times when you call that the garbage collector may not run at all.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics