tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dale, Matt" <Matt.D...@beCogent.com>
Subject RE: architecture advice
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2003 15:40:12 GMT
Thanks,

I think I'll take your advice, the apps guys are going to use J-Meter for app testing so I'll
get them to use this for stress testing as well.

Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding, it came from my observations but they were hardly
conclusive.

Thanks
Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: 19 December 2003 15:26
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: architecture advice

Howdy,

>I currently have a 6 processor Solaris box that we wish to turn into a
>tomcat application server for 250-500 users.
>My current plan would be to run two instances of tomcat 5 in a cluster
with >the session replication enabled and load balance between these two
using >the JK2 connector from apache 2.

It's good to have a goal and plan in mind.  Make sure to establish the
acceptable response time for a page in your application when handling
the maximum expected load.  This is what you will test for.

That said, why not start simple?  Configure just one standalone tomcat,
deploy to it, stress-test and tune it.  Then worry about clustering and
failover.

>Would I be better having 1 tomcat instance and allowing it to take more
>memory? (I decided against this as surely each instance can only
utilise a >single processor)

That's not true: the JVM can effectively utilize multiple processors
concurrently.  We have several 12- and 18-processor Solaris boxes and
Sun JDK 1.4.2 parallelizes beautifully on them.  Be careful jumping into
conclusions like the above without researching/testing.

Yoav Shapira