tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <>
Subject Re: Admintool cannot save changes to servers.xml
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:08:21 GMT
At 11:28 PM 12/27/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Philipp Taprogge wrote:
>>Volkm@r wrote:
>>>What do I have to change in order to enable admintool to save changes to
>>I am not entirely sure here, but from what I have read so far I recon
>>that the admin webapp is for making changes to the running tomcat
>>instance _only_. If you know in advance what you want, put it in the
>>appropriate config file. You only use the admin tool when you have to
>>make changes on the fly and can't (or don't want to) restart the server.
>>I don't think the admin tool is intended to work that way and I am not
>>sure if I would like if it did.
>>         Phil
>Hi Phil!
>I'm just only running one single instance on Tomcat and I would prefer
>using the admintool instead of manually editing server.xml.
>I've read in [1] that this should be possible to work properly.
>[1] <>

You don't have to edit server.xml.  In fact, you probably shouldn't if you
can avoid it.  You should be able to provide a context configuration file
where you can put all the stuff you would normally put in server.xml for
you webapp, but instead this is a standalone xml file which gets read kind
of like how Apache server works with .htaccess files.  You can even deploy
your application with file in the META-INF directory of your .war file and
it will get picked up by Tomcat (make sure to call it "context.xml" if you
do this).

Also see the manager app docs.

BTW, Tomcat5 is much better about all of this than Tomcat4.1 was.  I
recommend moving to Tomcat5 ASAP.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message