tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Admintool cannot save changes to servers.xml
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:08:21 GMT
At 11:28 PM 12/27/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Philipp Taprogge wrote:
>>Hi!
>>Volkm@r wrote:
>>
>>>Question:
>>>What do I have to change in order to enable admintool to save changes to
>>>server.xml?
>>
>>I am not entirely sure here, but from what I have read so far I recon
>>that the admin webapp is for making changes to the running tomcat
>>instance _only_. If you know in advance what you want, put it in the
>>appropriate config file. You only use the admin tool when you have to
>>make changes on the fly and can't (or don't want to) restart the server.
>>I don't think the admin tool is intended to work that way and I am not
>>sure if I would like if it did.
>>         Phil
>
>Hi Phil!
>
>I'm just only running one single instance on Tomcat and I would prefer
>using the admintool instead of manually editing server.xml.
>I've read in [1] that this should be possible to work properly.
>
>[1] <http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.0/tutorial/doc/Admintool2.html>
>--
>volkm@r

You don't have to edit server.xml.  In fact, you probably shouldn't if you
can avoid it.  You should be able to provide a context configuration file
where you can put all the stuff you would normally put in server.xml for
you webapp, but instead this is a standalone xml file which gets read kind
of like how Apache server works with .htaccess files.  You can even deploy
your application with file in the META-INF directory of your .war file and
it will get picked up by Tomcat (make sure to call it "context.xml" if you
do this).

See:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/host.html#Automatic%20Application%20Deployment
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/host.html#Automatic%20Application%20Deployment

Also see the manager app docs.

BTW, Tomcat5 is much better about all of this than Tomcat4.1 was.  I
recommend moving to Tomcat5 ASAP.

Jake