tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Cocalea, Eugen" <Coca...@synygy.com>
Subject RE: IIS port 80 vs Tomcat port 8080.
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:11:02 GMT
Best and fastest way: read this

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/12/18/tomcat.html

HTH

E.

-----Original Message-----
From: charles doweary [mailto:charlesdoweary@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 9:03 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: IIS port 80 vs Tomcat port 8080.

I have Tomcat running on port 8080 and I've deployed my
website successfully to my Tomcat webapps folder.  I also
did an Ant List to confirm that my website is running.

If I set up this website in MicroSoft Internet Information
Service (IIS) to use port 80, how is the request coming
in on port 80 going to find the website running in Tomcat
on port 8080?  Or will the reqest coming in on my HTTP port 80
find my website running in Tomcat on port 8080?

Am I missing something!  If I set IIS to use port 8080, I get a
"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by
another process" error message.  Apparently, IIS and Tomcat
cannot both be running on port 8080.

What is the standard for setting website port numbers in conjunction
with Tomcat running on port 8080?  Is there a standard?
If not, is the website port number set up in Tomcat in one of the
XML files?  Should the server.xml or mywebsite.xml file include
an entry that identifies the port number that IIS is using for each
website?

Thanks for your assistance.