tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us>
Subject Re: servlet gets smtp relay denied error
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:18:30 GMT
Thanks for the ideas, all are welcome :)

See answers to your questions inline:

Doug Parsons wrote:

>>When I invoke it from a browser on the same network as the server, it
>>works as expected. An email is sent to the specified address, with the
>>attachment.
>>
>>But when I invoke it from a browser outside of my network, the message
>>does not get sent.
>>

>I don't have first hand experience in this class, but I got a theory.
>
>One possible problem is that your mail server is not looking at the
>connection to determine if it is a relay but at the message.
>
>Have the servlet write out the text of the message to a file or console OR
>look at one of the messages sent from inhouse to see how the message is
>formed.

Good idea.  Will try it.

>Also does/can your mail server send a response to the address attempting the
>relay? That could help determine why the mail server thinks it's a relay.
>

>>The mail server is configured to deny relays for anybody not on the LAN,
>>but there is no relay request---the servlet runs on the same box as the
>>smtp server (which is, in fact, on  the same box as my Apache, Tomcat
>>and DNS servers).
>>
>>Why does it matter where the browser that sends the request resides?
>>

>Now for a real stretch, does your server have a public or private IP
>assigned or both?

Both.  Server sits behind a router/firewall, with a private IP, router
has public IP and forwards mail, and http traffic to the server.

>If both, then consider that the request is being associated with the public
>IP when attached from outside and the private when from inside.
>If TC is using the public IP in the request to the mail server then is the
>mail server set to allow a relay from it's public IP?

Not such a wild idea.  You might be on to something here. Not currently
configured to relay from the external address.  Not sure that's what I
want, either---isn't that a security hole?  to relay from a public
address?  Will need to freshen up on sendmail before I take that step,
but definitely worth pursuing.

Thanks again.

Jerry