tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schu...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Convert Text to Image [OT]
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:52:24 GMT
Andoni,

> Does anyone know of a tool for Converting Text to images so that I
> can still have image buttons on my site while having it localised?
>
> PS: I have taken a look at AcmeGif I am looking to see if there is
> something better though.  Or tutorial help on AcmeGif.

Back when I was working for a client on a web-based website builder
(don't ask...), we used a tool called Macromedia Generator would could
do tons of sexy things like placing text on top of an existing image,
with other text effects, too.

We paid like a million bucks a day for the licence or something, and we
never used the tool to it's fullest extent. What a shame.

Anyhow, that tool exists, and it'll do *everything* you want. I guess it
depends on the amount of money you want to spend. I always wanted to do
a minimal all-Java re-write of the stuff we needed. It would be faster,
cheaper, and easier to manage. (MM Generator only ran on WinNT in those
days... all those Sun boxes and a single WinNT box for this tool).

If I were you, I'd whip up something quick and dirty around the
following core:

BufferedImage bi = new BufferedImage(-- sizes --);
bi.drawImage(0,0,, etc... if you want to have an image underneath);
bi.drawString(center coords, messages.getString("hello.world"));

Then, either use AcmeGif or Java's JAI package or the
always-there-but-never-supported com.sun.image.codec.jpeg package:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/2d/api-jpeg/overview-summary.html

Good luck,
-chris