tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joe Francis <jfran...@corp.a9.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.1.29 war unpacking problems
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:28:27 GMT
Philipp Taprogge wrote:

> In tomcat 4 you have to either restart tomcat after you drop the war
> in it's webapps directory or manually install the webapp using the
> tomcat manager (the path to war file should be relative to the webapps
> dir, so if you drop the war there, you can just enter it's name and
> press install button).

Thanks for responding!

My findings:  4.1.29 cares not about war files, even across restarts,
regardless of server.xml options.  But I was able to use the manager app
to load a .war file.  The .war in question contains a web module with a
trivial hellow world servlet (in WEB-INF/classes) and a web.xml to name
the servlet and map it to a url.  The manager starts it successfully,
but calls to the servlet give me a directory listing instead of ruinning
the servlet.

One thing I noted is that netbeans is forcing a <welcome-file> tag into
my web.xml when I export to a war, even though I explicitly deleted the
<welcome-file> stuff prior to exporting.  (Yes, I did save the changes.)

Any thoughts on these issues appreciated.  The goal is to be able to
deploy web modules that have just servlets (no jsp or html files), and
assign them to a given url.

cheers,
-joe