tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joe Francis <>
Subject Tomcat 4.1.29 war unpacking problems
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:50:14 GMT
Possible newbie question, but I have not found any faqs addressing this:

I just did a vanilla install of 4.1.29 on a linux box.  Connecting to
localhost:8080 seems to work fine and I can run the example servlets,
etc.  In netbeans I made a trivial servlet that just spits back some
helloworld html.  It works within netbeans' built-in tomcat.  I export
this as a .war file, and copy it into tomcat's webapps folder (the real
tomcat, not the netbeans one).  Nothing happens, ie., I cannot access
that servlet via tomcat, and examining the webapps/ directory reveals
that the war file was not unpacked.  I stopped and restarted tomcat -
still no love.

If I manually inflate the war file inside of webapps/ROOT, then I have a
working servlet.

I've looked at conf/server.xml and verified that the unpackWARS and
autodeploy settings are both lit.

Not sure what the next step is, so I thought I'd ask here.  The goal is
to be able to simply copy a .war into the right place and have a running
tomcat deploy the servlet corerctly.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message