tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: Default context for web app
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:47:30 GMT
On 12/10/2003 08:53 AM Kent Boogaart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying make my web application available via the default context. In
> other words, when I type http://localhost:8080/ in a browser on the local
> machine I want my web app to appear rather than the Tomcat default web app.
>
> I figured I'd just need to alter my context's path to "" (empty string) and
> alter the existing root context to use "/root" for it's path rather than "".
> Whilst this kind of works (my web app is available via
> http://localhost:8080/) it has an unfortunate side effect. My web app is
> started up twice - once in the "" context and again in another context based
> on my web app's name ("/eSM").
>
> How can I use the default context and only the default context for my web
> app?

You need to name your deploy directory 'ROOT' in CATALINA_HOME/webapps.

Rename or delete the current ROOT.  Make sure there is no context xml
config in conf/server.xml or conf/Catalina/localhost/*.xml with docbase
ROOT apart from the one with path=''.

Note I'm talking about 5.0.12 but I think it's pretty much the same for 4.x

Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 Debian