tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: servlet sendRedirect() to j_security_check problem (remember me)
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:02:26 GMT
That's a fairly circuitous route for a login. I guess you do what you
have to do though.

I was wondering whether I could adapt it to allow an SSL login form to
be used to login to non-SSL pages, but I think the httpClient would
leave the j_security_check post in plain text on the net - unless it
never leaves the server, but I'm not sure that would be possible.

Adam

On 12/04/2003 12:52 AM Matt Raible wrote:
> It's standard container managed security stuff - I first invoke a
> protected URL - in index.jsp - I redirect to mainMenu.do - and *.do is
> protected.  Based on security constraints in web.xml, I'm presented with
> a form-login-page "login.jsp" - rather than having
> action="j_security_check" in this form, I have
> action="/security/authorize" - which is mapped to my own LoginServlet.
> In the LoginServlet, I encrypt the password (optionally based on an
> init-parameter), set some cookies and do an HTTP Post to
> j_security_check.  Works on Tomcat 4-5 and Resin 3.x.
>
> Matt
>
> On Dec 3, 2003, at 4:21 PM, Adam Hardy wrote:
>
>> Matt,
>> are you really managing to post a form to j_security_check without
>> invoking it first, or is that some sort of black magic you've cooked up?
>>
>> Or have I just misunderstood what Chris said?
>>
>> Adam
>>
>> On 12/03/2003 09:24 PM Matt Raible wrote:
>>
>>> Chris,
>>> I found your post at
>>> http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user%40jakarta.apache.org/
>>> msg111700.html and I'm cc'ing the list in case anyone else is
>>> interested in this info (I'm not subscribed).
>>> I've actually improved the "Remember Me" feature a fair amount since
>>> I  posted to the Tomcat User list.  The sendRedirect works, however,
>>> it  (in some browsers) puts the URL (with password) into the address
>>> bar.   This isn't a big deal IMO since it's the user that just logged
>>> in and  they don't mind seeing their own passwords.  However, the URL
>>> tends to  show up in server log files which can be a security hole.
>>> Because of  this, I changed to using an HTTP Post with Jakarta
>>> Common's HttpClient.   I also moved my form-login-page and
>>> form-error-page into a "security"  folder and then set my cookies for
>>> the /appname/security path rather  than / - this makes it so the
>>> user/pass cookies are more secure and can  only be retrieved when
>>> logging in, rather than for any URL in the site.
>>> That being said, I've updated one of my sample apps with these
>>> changes  and you can download it if you'd like:
>>> http://raibledesigns.com/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=AppFuse
>>> Here's my updated LoginServlet that does an Http Post instead of a Get:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/xl80
>>> HTH,

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2