tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <>
Subject Re: Servlets with JDBC connectivity
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 07:59:18 GMT
Peter Harrison wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:18, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
>>How do people handle this elegantly? The requirements are: a single,
>>globally visible (within a webapp) database interface and the ability
>>to access multiple databases easily.
> The first point is to use a singleton to set up the database connection - or
> more correctly the connection pool. This way you can request a connection and
> return it to the pool easily. Of course every time you use one you will have
> to use try-catch blocks. Sorry no way around that.

Both Tomcat and J2EE specification support javax.sql.DataSource objects over
JNDI. That is how we handle it elegantly.

A DataSource object is specified by the administrator and created by the
container. Container then deploys it under specified JNDI name. A servlet (or
EJB) can then lookup this object and use it, something like this:

import java.sql.*;
import javax.sql.*;
import javax.naming.*;

DataSource ds = (DataSource)ic.lookup( "java:comp/env/jdbc/MyDataSource" );
Connection conn = ds.getConnection();

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message