tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schu...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: OutOfMemory Exception initializing page context
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 17:58:19 GMT
Rob,

> I consulted with the developers and they said we don't use or do
> anything that you suggested except we do use tomcat's connection pooling
> for oracle.

Okay, that's good. Sometimes, people don't use connection pooling or do
it improperly, and leave Connection objects lying around. SQL Connection
objects do not clean themselves up nicely, if they even clean themselves
up...

> We are running Sun j2sdk1.4.2_02 with the Concurrent Mark
> Sweep GC with -Xmx512m. I currently use the verbose logging for GC
> times.  The odd thing is that it does not seem to progressively go up
> but rather spike up with high GC times and the full GC will not clean
> anything out.

Hmm... that's a little odd. You say you get huge, sudden spikes from
which the GC cannot recover? That sounds like bad news. Do you have any
data on which pieces of code (servlets, JSPs, actions) are being
executed when this happens? Consider adding a request logger filter to
see what might be causing the spike...

-chris