tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Atreya Basu <atr...@greenfieldresearch.ca>
Subject Re: SessionListener
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:36:31 GMT
Hi,

Here is how I use the HttpSessionListener.

First I create a Class that implements HttpSessionListener:
package com.gri.web;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
public MySessionListener implements HttpSessionListener
{
   private static int num_sessions = 0;
   private HttpSession session = null;

   public void sessionCreated(HttpSessionEvent se)
    {
        num_sessions++;
        session = se.getSession();
    }
    public void sessionDestroyed(HttpSessionEvent se)
    { num_session--;}
    public static int getNumSessions() {return num_sessions; }
     public static HttpSession getLastSession() { return session;}
}

Now include this in the web.xml for your context (directly after
filter&filter-mapping but before Servlet element):

|<listener>|
|||  <listener-class>com.gri.web.MySessionListener</listener-class>
</listener>||

now all you have to do is create a JSP:
<jsp:root xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page">
<jsp:directive.page import="com.gri.web.*" />
<jsp:text>
|Last user in session:
</jsp:text>
<jsp:expression>
MySessionListener.getLastSession().getAttribute("j_username")
</jsp:expression>
|<jsp:text>
|Username of current person
</jsp:text>
<jsp:expression>
session.getAttribute("j_username")
</jsp:expression>
|</jsp:root>

</jsp:root>
Hart, Justin wrote:

>Ok, still, I haven't found any documentation on how to add a SessionListener in the server.xml
file, and adding one using the listener tags defined for web.xml files doesn't seem to work.

>I also haven't seen how to get a user's credentials from a HttpSession, or how to get
a Session from an HttpSessionListener.  Could you throw me a bone?

>Justin

Developer
Greenfield Research Inc.
atreya(AT)greenfieldresearch(DOT)ca