tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jerald Powel <>
Subject Re: context
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:21:29 GMT

Hi Adam,

     It's sorted. To cut a long story short, the same people who 'configured' it so that webapps
was completey separated from Tomcat, and removed the examples, also decided to use a renamed
server.xml. Once I figured that out, and added the context, it ran fine. A joy of being a

     Perhaps you can answer me this to close..why in my experience was it not necessary to
add a context for an app to run successfully, but on this occasion it was?

many thanks

Hi Jerald,
I'm sorry but I've never had a Status 500 - no context configured.

There must be something freaky in your context configuration. Is the
manager app running? That is normally at localhost:8080/manager/html

What does that say you have running in terms of contexts?

What directories do you have in your webapps dir and what contexts do
you have configured in conf/server.xml and conf/Catalina/localhosts/*.xml?

BTW what TC version are you running?

On 12/11/2003 01:19 AM Jerald Powel wrote:
> Yes, they are all (3) running on different ports. All of them running
> apps quite happily. This particular one is running a single WAR OK,
> and my app - not OK. (HTTP Status 500 - No Context configured to
> process this request). I haven't played with the root context.
> Manager app?! Like I said, all apps bar the two I talk of have been
> removed. On looking, there is NO root context! (TC was configured by
> a third party before my arival)
> thanks for your assistance
> G.
> Jerald, what happens then? You just get a message saying 'requested
> resource not available'?
> Presumably your different tomcats are on different ports and don't
> interfere with each other?
> Also can you run the manager app? What does it say is running?
> You say you removed all other contexts - so your app is running as
> the root context? I believe you must have a root context.
> Adam
> On 12/09/2003 11:13 PM Jerald Powel wrote:
>> Sorry for any impropriety re the hijacking!
>> I have a WAR running successfully under webapps. All other examples
>> etc have been removed. I am running several instances/versions of
>> Tomcat on the same box, and have no CATALINA_HOME env. variable
>> defined. I am trying to port my app from the one version to the
>> other. The WAR runs, my app doesn't!
>> Thanks for any help
>> G.
>> Prostrate yourself to a tongue lashing for hijacking someone else's
>> thread as well! You should start a new thread when you post a new
>> topic.
>> Unfortunately you haven't provided enough info. Start a new thread
>> and include details like your CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE
>> variables and whether your root, manager & jsp-examples contexts
>> are accessible.

struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 Debian

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

   BT Yahoo! Broadband - Save £80 when you order online today. Hurry! Offer ends 21st December
2003. The way the internet was meant to be.