tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "D. Gilbert" <>
Subject newbie help please, localhost not found
Date Sat, 06 Dec 2003 15:56:13 GMT
When I type http://localhost:8080 in Internet Explorer it says "The page
cannot be displayed".
I've looked through the archives but couldn't find anything.
The running.txt file that comes with Tomcat lists only 3 possibilites for
why it doesn't work.
I've tried changing the port number, I'm using Windows XP so the environment
issue doesn't apply
and I'm pretty sure that I'm not behind a proxy as I am using my own PC at
I'm pretty sure the JDK is installed ok as I can run javac. I tried changing
incorrect values and that made things worse so I'm sure they are set
I've tried 2 versions of Tomcat 4.0.1 and 4.1.29.
When I startup 4.0.1 I get the messages
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.0.1
Starting service Tomcat-Apache
Apache Tomcat/4.0.1
which are correct according to my book.
Can anyone say what the problem is, or any ways to debug it?

It should run on a standalone home PC shouldn't it? I don't need to be
connected to a LAN or anything do I?

I've been trying to solve this for 2 weeks now so I would really appreciate
any help please.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message