tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: Need some Tomcat Configuration help badly
Date Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:56:58 GMT
> >> BTW, there is a bug with Tomcat which will cause it to run out of
> >> memory after a number of restarts.  You will probably run into this
> >> with 30 students uploading new classes.  You will also want to make
> >> sure that the fork attribute for the JspServlet is set to true as well
> >> as compiling JSPs will leak memory unless the compiling process is
> >> forked.
> >
> > Is this true only for Tomcat4 or for version 5 as well?
>
> True for both.

It strikes me odd, I've been hearing about "memory leak while recompiling
JSPs" for a couple of years. Is it really there and is it going to be
removed in the near future? I recall that being attributed to "javac" memory
leaks. That's why they advise to pre-compile JSP for production environment.
I cannot fathom how can it be:

a) so consistent
b) not dependant on JDK version

Any insight?